How To

How to Change Your Business Address?

How to Change Your Business Address?

It may be difficult to move a company if you want to grow or relocate your office. In this case, you need to update your business address with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS); however, you will also need to let the IRS know if there are any changes to the responsible party of your company on your Employer Identification Number (EIN).

You have finally incorporated and obtained your Employer Identification Number for your business. During this process, you have provided contact information for a responsible party on your EIN. The responsible party is a member/officer of your new company. You will need to update the responsible party of your company on file with the IRS if this person changes.

Fortunately, the process is not complicated.

As of January 1, 2014, the IRS requires businesses to use Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business Form 8822B to update the existing contact information of the responsible party in the IRS file. This form should be filed to notify the responsible party of the latest information within 60 days of the change.

The reason for this new requirement is to be able to update their records so that any tax refund or other IRS communication can be sent to the party on time. Most businesses will appoint a person who has authority or control over the funds and assets within the enterprise.

You are required to report any of the changes below due to the new regulations:

  • Mailing Address of your Business
  • Location of your Business
  • Responsible Party’s Identity

Be sure to not forget to include details such as the suite, room number or apartment. Nobody wants to miss the deadlines specified in these terms.

If your post office doesn’t deliver to your physical address, then you may use a P.O. box. A foreign address is acceptable.

For an individual, you will need their full and correct name, social security number, or ITIN.

You must include all previous responsible party information and new information. Once the form is completed, you must submit it to the Ministry of Treasury at the nearest Internal Revenue Service Center.

Feel free to consult us with any questions or inquiries regarding how to change a business address. We are always ready to help you!

Back to list

Related Posts