Employer Identification Number (EIN) to Get Your Music on Itunes, Spotify

Employer Identification Number (EIN) to Get Your Music on Itunes, Spotify

Over the years, the music industry has made a breakthrough with an independent revolution as more unsigned artists start to sell their music online without the backing of a record label.

If you are a musician looking to pursue your career as an independent artist and get your music on iTunes or Spotify, learning how to sell music online might be the first step.

Thanks to independent music distributors, it became much easier for unsigned artists to get their music to the world’s leading online music stores and start collecting royalties from iTunes, Spotify, Apple and more.

What are independent music distributors?

Independent music distributors are one of the easiest ways for unsigned artists to release their music online. These companies, also known as music aggregators operate as a middleman for unsigned artists and major music platforms.

Working with iTunes How to start?

Please complete the application to offer your content.

Do I need an aggregator acts as a go-between?

If you meet all the requirements, you can sign up individually to work with Apple directly. If not, working with an aggregator may be the best as they are experts delivering content.

Do I need a US Tax ID?

Yes, since it is a part of the iTunes Connect sign-up and authentication process, you need a US Tax ID. It is a requirement for providers not based in the US as well. If you need one, please contact us to help you professionally. Ensure that you put it correctly during the application process. You must use the same US Tax ID if you are asked to complete US tax forms on iTunes Connect.

Do I need an Apple ID to sell music on the iTunes Store?

Yes, you will need an Apple ID and a credit card on file with the iTunes Store.

Working with Spotify

If you are an artist and you want to get your music on Spotify, uploading music through Spotify is available by invitation to independent artists based in the United States. You must have a US bank account and tax ID to be eligible to release your music on Spotify. With your bank account information, they will pay you royalties. If you are registered as a business, you will need these:

– bank routing number and account number

-personal info such as legal name, address, phone number, SSN or EIN

Royalty Payments to your Registered Business

You can sign up as a business in order to receive payments from Spotify in the event that you are registered as a business with an EIN.


First, you need to complete a W9 form.

Next, if you have earned at least $10 or more throughout the year, you will get the 1099-MISC form you will be using to pay your taxes.

For more information, check out here.

If you want to share your music worldwide and need an EIN but have some more questions on how to get one, do not hesitate to contact us! We are always here to help!